In this Windows 10 tutorial, you’re going to read about step by step guide on how to use PIN instead of a Password to login into Windows 10. Lots of users already looking for this and if you’re the one out of them, then don’t miss to check this tutorial.
Windows 10 is the latest version of Windows which is released by Microsoft few months ago. The new version of Windows comes with lots of new features like new Edge browser, start menu, Cortana integration, new setting apps and lot more. It also offers you different options to sign into your account. You can use picture password, the traditional password, face detection (Windows Hello) or fingerprint scan and one of my favorite PIN method.
Every method has its own importance and in this article, you will read about how to use a Pin to login into Windows 10
Windows 10 also has a feature that let you login to your Windows account using a 4-digit PIN just like Windows 8. You’ll find this feature useful if your normal password is tool long and complicated to type in the virtual keyboard. Also typing a full password on touch screen based device become a pain in the neck.
When you enable the PIN, it fully replaces the traditional password, but this PIN method is only available if you login into Windows 10 using a Microsoft account instead of a local account. The good thing is that both Windows 10 Pro and Home editions support
The good thing about this method is, if you ever forget your PIN, you can use the traditional method to login to your account.
Note: Using a PIN in comparison to Alpha-Numeric characters to login is not safe. So it’s highly recommended to use PIN only if you don’t want to enter 15 character password on a device which are not connected with the keyboard or touch screen bases device.
Steps Use a PIN Instead of a Password to Login in Windows 10
1. To add a PIN, you need to click on “Start button“, and then click on “Settings”
2. Under settings, you will see “Accounts” option and click on it.
3. Here on the left pane, you will see “Sign-in options” click on it. On the right side scroll down to “PIN” option with the message. You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. You need to click on “ADD“.
4. Now you will be asked to retype your password. Here you need to type your current account password and then click on Sign in button.
5. Pop-up will ask you to “Add” your 4-digit PIN, type the PIN again to “Confirm” and click on “OK”
6. Congratulation you’re done. From now when you get to the login screen you will have the option to use a PIN.
Note: The minimum length of the PIN is 4 digit, but I suggest you to use atleast minimum of 6-digit PIN to make it strong. Also avoid using PINs like 123456, 1234, 0011, 1234, 4321 and more.
Once done, you will be asked to enter the PIN to login to your user account. The good thing about this feature is that after entering the PIN, you don’t need to press enter key or click on the Sign in button. As soon as you enter the last number of the right PIN, the Windows will automatically begin the login process.
Steps to Remove PIN from your account
It is very to remove PIN from your Windows 10 user account, but keep in mind that the new Windows Hello feature require PIN for your user account. Now if you remove the PIN from your account, then this Windows Hello feature will also stop functioning.
So here is how to remove the PIN:
1. Launch the new Setting app.
2. After that, you need to head over to Account and Click on Sign in options.
3. Here under PIN section, simply click on Remove button and after that click on Remove button option again to remove the PIN.
So this is how you can use a PIN Instead of a Password to Login in Windows 10. If you have any questions regarding this process, feel free to ask me in the comments.