After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, the software automatically leaves a copy of your old operating system behind in a folder named as Windows.old. In this article, you will read three different ways to completely delete Windows.old folder from Windows 10 operating system with ease.
While installing Windows 10, if you choose to install Windows on the same drive which already have an existing Windows installation without formatting or performing refresh operation, the setup itself create a folder named Windows.old in the root directory of the Windows 10.
So after installing Windows 10 you find this Windows.old folder under root drive of your Windows, because you might have upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 or performed a fresh installation of Windows 10 without deleting the drive which contains previous installation files
This Windows.old folder contains all the apps and files from the previous Windows installation. This folder can be useful if you want to downgrade to the previous version of Windows or if the installation fails for the newer version due to any reason.
But, if you are already done with the migration from the previous version to new version, then Windows.old is just wasting your disk space for no reason. What lots of Windows user do is try to delete it by right clicking on it which is not an exact solution to get rid of this Windows.old folder.
Now the question is, how to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10 and free up disk space? There are lots of ways to remove Windows.old folder. You can simply use the Disk Cleanup tool or use third-party freeware tools like CCleaner to complete this job.
To make things easier for my site dedicated reader, I decided to share a detailed tutorial that will cover all the three method with step by step instruction to get rid of the Windows.old folder and free up lots of GBs in Windows 10.
Note: Don’t delete this Windows.old folder, if you’re planning to downgrade back to previous version of Windows, if you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1/7 installtion and now planning to revert to Windows 7/8.1 again for some reasons, so don’t even think about deleting Windows.old folder because if you did so, you won’t be able to perform downgrade without the Windows.old folder.
Why don’t you check out different ways to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10 and choose the easiest way for yourself.
Steps to Delete or Remove Windows.old folder in Windows 10 using Disk Cleanup
1. First of all, you need to click on “This PC” and after that navigate to the drive where Windows is installed. Now right click on the drive, and click on “Properties“
2. After that under “General” tab you will see “Disk Cleanup” option click on it.
3. Once you see this dialog box in the Disk Cleanup utility. You need to click on the “Clean up system files” button to begin the scan.
4. Now you will see this dialog box and here you need to look for the option named as “Windows.old folder” or “Previous Windows installation (s)“. You need to check these folders and click “OK” button to delete the Windows.old folder.
After performing all steps shared above you will no longer see Window.old folder under the root drive of Windows installed.
Steps to Delete or Remove Windows.old folder in Windows 10 using CCleaner
In case, you find that Windows.old folder is not listed in Disk Cleanup utility, then there is another most popular software called CCleaner that help to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10
2. Launch CCleaner software and on the right side “uncheck” all the option except “Old Windows Installation” if you only want to delete Windows.old from the Core drive in which Windows 10 is installed.
3. Click on “Analyze” option visible at bottom left side of the screen. Once it’s done with scanning you will see the Old Windows installation with the size it consuming on your machine.
4. Now to clean this Windows.old from the Windows 10 PC you need to click on “Run” button which is visible at the bottom right side of the screen.
Steps to Delete or Remove Windows.old folder in Windows 10 using Command Prompt
1. First of all, you need to open Command Prompt. For that, you can type CMD in the search box or Start search box when you see Command Prompt option make a right click to open as administrator. You need to click on “Yes” when you see the UAC dialog.
2. In Command Prompt you need to “Type” or “Paste” the code mentioned below and Press “Enter” key to delete Windows.old folder.
RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old
And you’re done!
So these are three different ways to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10. Why don’t you try any one of these methods to save more GBs on your machine.