Windows Defender in Windows 10 is not your cup of tea and you want to get rid of it? No problem! This article will teach you steps that you can use to permanently turn off or disable Windows Defender in Windows 10. So, if you want to get rid of this, then don’t miss to check this guide.
Windows 10 also ships with Microsoft AntiSpyware software called Microsoft Windows Defender just like predecessor Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Windows Defender helps to protect from malware, viruses, and other threat. Just like other antivirus software for Windows 10, it doesn’t provide sufficient features to ensure the protection of machine, but still it’s adequate for many home users.
Most of the Windows users don’t actually like this antivirus program by Microsoft and always look for other options available over the web. If you really want to protect your Windows 10 PC you can choose out of some of the best antivirus software available over the web. Make sure to disable Windows Defender before you install any other antivirus software. As installing a two or more antivirus on the same PC is not recommended. So it’s better to remove or disable the Microsoft Windows defender which actually doing nothing for your PC.
In the previous version of Windows, One can easily turn off or disable Microsoft Windows defender from Windows Defender Settings, but this option is not available in Windows 10 and moved to the Setting app.
How to Disable Microsoft Windows Defender Permanently in Windows 10
Under Windows Defender Settings, you will find an option that let you turn off real-time protection, but it’s not permanent or you can say it will only be a temporary change. Whenever Windows 10 system find that Windows 10 real-time protection is turned off it will automatically enable the real-time protection back.
Now this clear that you won’t be able to disable Windows Defender permanently in Windows 10 using the new settings app. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do that. What you can do is to force Windows Defender from starting automatically by disabling it manually.
In upcoming lines, you will read about how you can completely turn off or turn off Windows Defender real-time protection for all users in Windows 10
Note: Before you start following below method you must be signed as an administrator
Steps to Turn On or Off Windows Defender using Group Policy
1. You need to launch “Local Group Policy Editor”. For that search “edit policy editor” and once you see in the search result click to launch.
3. In the right panel “Windows Defender” option, you will see “Turn off Windows Defender” simply double-click on it to edit the policy.
4. Now a popup windows will show up. By default, it’s set to be “No configured” if you want to disable it simply selectdisable option and select enable if you want to enable the Windows Defender.
5. Once done close the group policy editor.
We all know that Local Group Policy Editor is only available in Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Educations editions. So not all the users will find this method helpful. In this condition, you can go with a second method.
Steps to Turn On or Off Windows Defender using a REG file
1. This method is very easy, you just need to download two registries i.e. Turn_On_Windows_Defender.reg (link) and Turn_Off_Windows_Defender.reg (link)
2. After that double click on the downloaded registries to merge .reg file.
For example, if you want to disable Windows Defender go with Turn On registry and if you want to turn off Windows Defender go with Turn off registry.
3. In case you see UAC, click Yes and Ok to approve the merge.
Disable Windows Defender Permanently in Windows 10 using NoDefender
NoDefender is a small third party app that allows anyone to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 and take back control of the operating system which Microsoft seems to constantly take away from the user.