Windows Defender in Windows 10 is not your cup of tea and you want to get rid of it? No problem! This article will teach you steps that you can use to permanently turn off or disable Windows Defender in Windows 10. So, if you want to get rid of this, then don’t miss to check this guide.
Windows 10 also ships with Microsoft AntiSpyware software called Microsoft Windows Defender just like predecessor Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Windows Defender helps to protect from malware, viruses, and other threat. Just like other antivirus software for Windows 10, it doesn’t provide sufficient features to ensure the protection of machine, but still it’s adequate for many home users.
Most of the Windows users don’t actually like this antivirus program by Microsoft and always look for other options available over the web. If you really want to protect your Windows 10 PC you can choose out of some of the best antivirus software available over the web. Make sure to disable Windows Defender before you install any other antivirus software. As installing a two or more antivirus on the same PC is not recommended. So it’s better to remove or disable the Microsoft Windows defender which actually doing nothing for your PC.
You may be interested in reading about some of the best free online virus scan website
In the previous version of Windows, One can easily turn off or disable Microsoft Windows defender from Windows Defender Settings, but this option is not available in Windows 10 and moved to the Setting app.
How to Disable Microsoft Windows Defender Permanently in Windows 10
Under Windows Defender Settings, you will find an option that let you turn off real-time protection, but it’s not permanent or you can say it will only be a temporary change. Whenever Windows 10 system find that Windows 10 real-time protection is turned off it will automatically enable the real-time protection back.
Now this clear that you won’t be able to disable Windows Defender permanently in Windows 10 using the new settings app. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do that. What you can do is to force Windows Defender from starting automatically by disabling it manually.
In upcoming lines, you will read about how you can completely turn off or turn off Windows Defender real-time protection for all users in Windows 10
Note: Before you start following below method you must be signed as an administrator
Steps to Turn On or Off Windows Defender using Group Policy
1. You need to launch “Local Group Policy Editor”. For that search “edit policy editor” and once you see in the search result click to launch.
2. In the left panel you need to navigate to:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender
3. In the right panel “Windows Defender” option, you will see “Turn off Windows Defender” simply double-click on it to edit the policy.
4. Now a popup windows will show up. By default, it’s set to be “No configured” if you want to disable it simply select disable option and select enable if you want to enable the Windows Defender.
5. Once done close the group policy editor.
We all know that Local Group Policy Editor is only available in Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Educations editions. So not all the users will find this method helpful. In this condition, you can go with a second method.
Steps to Turn On or Off Windows Defender using a REG file
2. After that double click on the downloaded registries to merge .reg file.
For example, if you want to disable Windows Defender go with Turn On registry and if you want to turn off Windows Defender go with Turn off registry.
3. In case you see UAC, click Yes and Ok to approve the merge.
Disable Windows Defender Permanently in Windows 10 using NoDefender
NoDefender is a small third party app that allows anyone to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 and take back control of the operating system which Microsoft seems to constantly take away from the user.
1. First of all Download the NoDefender app and extract the zip file.
2. After that double click on NoDefender.exe file to launch it and click on “Next” button.
3. On the Step 1 page, click the Open Windows Defender Settings button and it will open Setting app with Window Defender.
4. Here on this page you need to turn off the following three options:
- Real-time protection
- Cloud-based protection
- Sample submission
5. After that, you need to head over to the next step in NoDefender. On the Step 2 page, click Disable Windows Defender and click Next.
6. Now whenever you try to launch Windows Defender you will a pop you message i.e. “This app has been turned off and isn’t monitoring your computer”
Note: Once you disable Windows Defender using NoDefender you won’t be able to enable the application. So its recommended to create a manual system restore point before disabling Defender
Congratulation you’ve successfully disabled Windows Defender in Windows 10. Why don’t you try this tool and let me know whether it was helpful or not 😀