Wait is over and the day has come for which we all have been waiting for last 9 months. Finally, Microsoft started rolling out the final version (RTM) of Windows 10 to the users who’ve already reserved the free copy of Windows 10.
Lots of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are still confused why they are not seeing Windows 10 upgrade message in notification tray? Now this is happening because Microsoft release this upgrade in waves and due to this reason not all the users will get this update right away and have to wait next few hours or even three- four days to see this free upgrade message from Microsoft.
If you’re the one having Windows PC or laptop running Windows 7 service pack one and Windows 8.1 and can’t wait for the update to reach your computer, then there is a good new! You can legally upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 using Media Creation Tool for Windows 10.
This method not only works fine for the users who have already reserved their free copy of Windows 10, but the users who haven’t registered for this free Windows 10 upgrade program can also take advantage of this method to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.
Things to Keep in Mind
- It’s highly recommended you must create a backup of all your personal files, data and application install on your system using the freeware program called EaseUS System GoBack. As this method is not safe at the moment, if something goes wrong can recover everything using this backup
- Please follow the guide very carefully and follow this tutorial at your own risk. I will not be responsible if something goes wrong and you lose your data during the upgrade process
Steps to Upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool
Using the steps which I’m going to share in upcoming lines you can easily upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 using Media Creation Tool for free and legally. Here is how to do it:
1. First of all, you need to launch “Windows update” on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and install the updates which are available for your system.
2. After that you need to download Windows 10 Media creation tool from the links shared below:
Note: If you’re using 32 bit Windows 7 and Windows 8, then make sure to download the 32-but Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10. And, if you’re using 64-bit Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, then download the 64-bit Media Creation Tool. You can’t upgrade from 32 bit Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10.
3. Once you are done downloading the Media Creation tool for Windows 10. You need to make the right click on the tool and in the context menu click “Run as Administrator” option
When you see the UAC prompt, Click Yes.
4. In Media Creation Tool home screen, you will see two option. You need to select the first option which is “Upgrade this PC now“, and then click Next button.
5. Now this will start downloading the Windows 10 upgrade file on your PC. You’ll see the following screens:
Download Windows 10
Creating Windows 10
Preparing Windows 10
Getting Update for Windows 10
6. When you see the license agreement screen, click “Accept” button to continue the upgrade process.
7. After this, the setup will start looking for the updates available. If the tool finds any update, it will start downloading the update available for your machine. This can take few minute depending on your internet connection speed.
8. Once everything is ready for your machine. You will see Ready to install screen. Don’t click install button yet. And click on “Change what to keep”
Here you need to check whether the setup is showing “keep all personal files and apps” option. If it’s only showing personal files or keep nothing. You need to click on “Change what to keep” and then select personal files and apps options.
9. At last, you need to click on Install button to being the upgrade process from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.
As you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. In this case, you’ll definitely notice Windows.old in the root drive of the Windows 10. You can check out my article on how to remove or delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10
So what are you waiting for guys why don’t you grab your free upgrade of the new Windows 10, and let me know what you think about the new Windows 10 operating system by the Microsoft.