If you’re looking for a way to take a screenshot in Mac? This article will teach you all the possible ways to make that thing happen.
When I switched from Windows Laptop to Macbook Pro, the first thing I found missing on my laptop is Print Screen key on the keyboard. As a content writer, I need to take lots of screenshots to show my users how to perform things mentioned in the article. The screenshots are the vital part of any tutorial or article because picture gives a better idea in comparison of content.
After digging a little about taking a screenshot on a Mac, I come to know that Macbooks also comes with the hidden screenshot program and just by using various keyboard keys combination users can take a screenshot of the whole screen or just part of it.
Even I come to know about some other ways to take a screenshot in Mac which provides you additional features for altering your screenshot. I know there are lots of users just like me who wants to know the way to take a screenshot on a Mac. And by keeping all these users in my mind I decided to cover this article in which you will read about all the possible ways to take a screenshot on a Mac.
Different Ways to Take Screenshot on a Mac (Keyboard Shortcuts and Apps
So without further delay, why don’t you start reading a traditional way of taking a screenshot on a Mac.
Take Screenshot in Mac using Keyboard Shortcuts (Method One)
For taking a screenshot of the whole screen, you need to press Command-Shift-3 and screenshot of the current window will be saved on your desktop as a .png file.
For taking a screenshot of selection of your screen. Follow these steps:
- Press Command-Shift-4
- After that, your pointer will switch to crosshair point.
- Move the crosshair pointer and bring it to the area from where you want to start the screenshot.
- Drag the pointer and select the area of which you want to take a screenshot. Also, while dragging, press the Spacebar, Option Key, or Shift key to change the way selection move.
- After selecting the area of which you want to take a screenshot. Release the trackpad button or mouse. To cancel, you need to press the Escape key before releasing the button.
- At last, you will find a screenshot of selected area on your desktop as a .png file.
For taking a screenshot of the window. You need to go through these steps:
- Press Command-Shift-4.
- This will change the pointer to crosshair pointer
- Press the Spacebar and crosshair pointer will switch to camera pointer
- Move the Camera Pointer over the Window to highlight it.
- Click your trackpad or mouse.
- You will find the screenshot of the windows on the desktop as a .png file.
Note: Using above method, you can take a screenshot of various application windows, and Finder windows.
You need to follow these steps if you want to take a screenshot of a menu without a title
- Click on the menu to unveil its content
- Press Command-Shift-4.
- The pointer will switch to crosshair pointer.
- Press the Spacebar to switch your crosshair pointer to camera pointer
- Highlight the menu by moving the camera pointer over it.
- Click on the trackpad or mouse.
- This will save the screenshot of the menu without a title on the desktop as a .png file.
Take Screenshot on Mac to Clipboard
Instead of saving the screenshot on the desktop you want to save it to the clipboard? Use Command-Shift-Control-3 or 4 depending on your choice -> Launch any photo editor -> Control + V or select paste from the menu to copy your screenshot to a window of the photo editor.
- The screenshot you will capture using above methods will automatically name in the format “Screen Shot date at time.png”
- You can open all the screenshot using any image or photo editing applications.
- It is possible, that some applications like DVD Player, might not let you take a screenshot of their windows.
Take a Screenshot on a Mac using Grab App (Method Two)
In case, you are not able to remember all the keyboard shortcuts discussed above? Don’t worry, there is a solution to overcome this problem and its name is Grab that let you screenshot on a mac with addition features like time-delayed screenshots.
This is how you can use Screen Grab in Mac to take screenshot without using keyboard shortcuts
1. To find Grab program, you need to navigate to following location Applications -> Utilities -> Grab.
2. Once you launch the Grab. You will find the icon for this utility in the dock. You can run the whole program from the menubar
3. Using Grab, you can take four type of screenshot out of which three types (screen, windows, and selection) I have already covered above. The additional one is timed screen which takes the screenshot of the screen after a delay of 10 seconds.
Suppose, you want to set your pointer on the screen or open the menu. You will get some time to do all these things.
Note: If you want to capture pointer in the screenshot. You need to go to preferences and select the pointer type.
Take a Screenshot on a Mac using Preview App (Method Three)
Yes, you heard it right, you can also take a screenshot using the default tool named as Preview that helps you in opening all type of images files from photos to PDF files on the Mac.
For taking a screenshot using Preview. You need to:
- Launch the Preview and navigate to menubar
- After that Click on File -> Take Screenshot -> Select type of screenshot you want to capture from three options which are From Selection, From Window, and From Entire Page
The advantage you will using this method is that after taking a particular type of screenshot you can preview, edit, and save the file where ever you want.
Take Screenshot on a Mac using Third Party Apps (Method Four)
There are a variety of third-party sniping tools available for Mac that let you take a screenshot of any part of the Mac screen.
So these are different ways that you can use to take a screenshot on a Mac. Why don’t you try these different ways? Also, if you have any other method in your mind? Share with us in the comments.